Friday, December 13, 2013

BEYONCÉ DROPS SURPRISE SELF-TITLED ALBUM AND IT IS NO JOKE

Beyoncé can sometimes coast on safe and pretty. I love her, but that is just a fact. The girl is gorgeous and marketable as all hell, but she can get a little boring at times. I guess this time she decided she was sick of being hyped and marketed like a piece of meat, so Beyoncé did what Beyoncé should do and she dropped a surprise album at midnight last night/this morning that includes 14 songs and 17 videos. Yep. That bitch just put all you other bitches on B-L-A-S-T! The self-titled album comes out with no promotion and the "visual album" is only available on iTunes as a full album until December 20th when the individual songs will then be available. I gotta tell you, I have been sick the past couple of days and when I saw this on my computer this morning, it made me feel better right away. Beyoncé explains her decision to keep hush-hush on the album:
"I see music. It’s more than just what I hear. When I’m connected to something, I immediately see a visual or a series of images that are tied to a feeling or an emotion, a memory from my childhood, thoughts about life, my dreams or my fantasies. And they’re all connected to the music. I didn’t want to release my music the way I’ve done it. I am bored with that. I feel like I am able to speak directly to my fans. There’s so much that gets between the music, the artist and the fans. I felt like I didn’t want anybody to give the message when my record is coming out. I just want this to come out when it’s ready and from me to my fans."
This is a very unusual approach to releasing an album, but I do remember one artist doing it before. After the great success of Purple Rain, Prince & The Revolution released the #1 album Around the World In a Day without a single or any promotion so his fans would experience it as a whole. Pretty good company, B. I have listened to the album and watched the videos this morning and it is pretty stellar. There is a lot of dark and a lot of light on the album and Beyoncé has ventured into some new territory. I am excited to see what the era of Beyoncé holds for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment